Leaving home is a big step
Moving out is easier if you make some preparations before you go.
Don't rush out the door and don't feel you have to move before you're ready. Get advice on what your options might be.
It’s not easy to find and pay for somewhere to live.
Think about the practicalities of leaving home and getting your own place. There are things that you will have to be responsible for if you live on your own (and pay for) such as:
- Bills like heating, electricity and gas
- Council Tax
- Doing your own housework
- Doing your own laundry
- Cooking (do you have cooking utensils?)
- Keeping a flat or house in good order
- Dealing with a landlord
- You may need a deposit for a flat
- Getting to and from work or finding out how you’ll pay for your accommodation
If you know anyone who has recently left home, talk to them about their experiences. Carefully think through all the things that you’ll need to afford in order to live by yourself or independently, and if you need some help or advice, you can ring us and we can point you in the right direction.